Shhh….. our secret to a successful library move…..
Specialised Movers strive to excel in all aspects of our work and are the UK’s leading library removals company. We are not simply a removals company that relocates libraries, but a specialised library mover – with the flexibility to overcome any obstacle in relocation. We undertake library removals for the public sector, educational/academic sector (schools/colleges), and private and commercial libraries, and can provide a long list of extremely satisfied clients as testament to our high quality library relocations.
We recognise that each library is unique and has its own individual requirements, and therefore understand how critical it is to work closely with the designers, project manager and refurbishment company, but also more importantly to understand the needs of the librarians. They know their library better than anyone else, and we take great care in listening and learning from them and then tailoring our services to meet their exact needs.
When undertaking Library Moves, detailed and delicate move plans need to be drawn up and followed. Great care must be taken when packing and transporting such valuable assets as well as the re-instating of the catalogue system at the new location. Specialised Movers’ staff are trained in the Dewey, Binary and Congress classification systems and can undertake all the unpacking for you as well as undertaking the following services:
- Developing a detailed move plan
- Cataloguing stock (Books/Multimedia etc.)
- Sequential packing and unpacking at destination
- Interfiling and integration
- Dismantling/erection of library shelving and existing library furniture and fittings
- Crate hire for books, office equipment and special computer crates
- Acid-free packing materials
- Coloured identification labels
- Nationwide service
- IT decommissioning and recommissioning
- Environmental disposal of unwanted media (in accordance with current EU Legislation/Directives) –
- Specialised Movers are a licensed Waste Carrier
- Storage – temperature controlled, secure storage environment to ensure zero degradation of materials in storage
- 7 days a week service
Library Relocation Partners
Our Library Relocation Team has a wealth of experience in Library, working closely with librarians. curators, information professionals, architects, designers and contractors from all sectors. Years of working in libraries means we understand and can effectively plan for the special requirements of working in such an environment.
Specialised Movers’ Team has worked in partnership with Demco Interiors for several years, undertaking scores of library relocations. Once Demco have secured the library refurbishment contract they then sub-contract Specialised Movers to provide a survey and quotation for the relocation of the bookstock, dismantling and re-assembly of racking/shelving, and office and IT relocation services.
Specialist work in several of these relocations has included movement of valuable archives and artifacts.
Past Library Relocation Projects
Libraries that have been successfully relocated by Specialised Movers include:
- Salford University – Greater Manchester. Movement of in excess of a million book and journal stock, plus movement of all existing shelving and return of stock after fit-out. Paul Simpson, the Project Manager at
- Specialised Movers became a stakeholder manager detailing day-to-day migration of book stock and liaising with the client throughout the project. See our Past Project Case Study for more details
- Central St Martins College Library – London
- Newbury Library – Newbury, West Berkshire. 1322m of book stock pack and store on site at Specialised Movers in Sheffield, return and replace after fit-out
- Witney Library – Witney, Oxon
- Brighton Library – Brighton, East Sussex
- American University – London
- Norwich Library – Norwich, Norfolk
- Northampton Central – Northamptonshire. Movement of 1100m of book stock store on site, and return after fit out.
- Kingston Hospital Library – Kingston upon Thames, Surrey
- Spurgeon College Library – Croydon, London. Movement of 3000m of book stock store, on site return and replace
- Church Mission Society Library – South East Oxford
- Roehampton Library – Wandsworth, London
- Pershore College Library – Pershore, Worcestershire
- University of Wales Library – Lampeter, Ceredigion, Wales
- The Geological Society – Picadilly, London
- Kingsbury Library – Brent, London
- Warwick University Library – London
- New Cripps Library – Northamptonshire
- Cardinal Pole School Library, Bracknell, Berkshire
- Nottingham Trent University Library – Nottinghamshire. Movement of 5600m of book stock, return to Specialised Movers storage in Sheffield, then return to University
- Pangbourne Children’s Library – Reading, West Berkshire. 475m of book stock packed and returned to Specialised Movers storage in Sheffield, then returned after fit-out
- Aylesbury College Library – Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
- Bracknell Library – Bracknell, Bracknell Forest of Berkshire, 400m of book stock from various locations centralised to one new purpose built hub
- London College of Communication – London
Contact Us now to speak to a Specialised Movers’ Consultant about your Library Relocation requirements.